Thursday, May 8, 2008

Summer Reading--The Bard

Once I went to upstate New York.

See:



(Told you so.)

There is a great little bookstore in Palmyra right next to an awful little bookstore. The awful little bookstore is called Latter-day Harvest. It specializes in obnoxious LDS kitsch that would make old Moroni embarrassed to blow his trumpet.



(Told you so.)

But the store right next to it is a real nice store. I decided no matter what I was going to buy a book there just to spite the awful store next door.

I didn't have a lot of time, so I just got a generic English Literature book. It was $6. It is a beautiful maroon, textured hardcover. And it smells like most books ever.

I'm currently half-way through Macbeth. These quotes might not all make sense. I'm taking some of them out of the meter. But it's still poetic and charming as all get out.

Here are snippets for you:

(SPOILER WARNING)

Macbeth and Banquo are talking about how the witches accurately foretold Macbeth being named Thane of Cawdor.

Banquo... But 'tis strange.
And oftentimes to win us to our harm,
The instruments of darkness tell us truths,
Win us with honest trifles, to betray's
In deepest consequence.

After Duncan has been stabbed, Lady Macbeth tells Macbeth he needs to go back into the king's room and smear blood on the king's servants while they sleep...

Macbeth... I'll go no more.
I am afraid to think what I have done;
Look on't again I dare not.

Lady Macbeth... Infirm of purpose!
Give me the daggers. The sleeping and the dead
Are but as pictures; 'tis the eye of childhood
That fears a painted devil. If he do bleed,
I'll gild the faces of the grooms withal;
For it must seem their guilt

[Queen Exits. Knocking within.]

Macbeth... Whence is that knocking?
How is't with me, when every noise appals me?
What hands are here? Ha! they pluck out mine eyes.
Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood
Clean from my hand? No, this my hand will rather
The multitudinous seas incarnadine,
Making the green, one red.

[Queen enters. More dialogue.]

Macbeth. To know my deed, 't were best not know myself.


Not bad, right?

2 comments:

Judy Neil said...

at first I couldn't figure out that "ctr" shirt and I thought it was some kind of a sickle or something in the middle so I was wondering if that was used to reap the fields of white. Either that or missionary work to the Soviets.

Daniel said...

I wish it was, friend...