Sunday, May 18, 2008

Futures

When I was a kid I thought cinematic visions of the future were exciting and I loved them. Flying cars. Hover-boards. Jet-packs. Ray-guns. Teleportation. I couldn't wait. It would honestly make me anxious--like on Christmas night, I would wish I could just fall asleep to get to the good stuff.










Now I think cinematic visions of the future are telling and silly, but I still love them. Flying cars? Hover-boards? Jet-packs? Ray-guns? The future seems really dangerous and if anything we are steadily moving towards a very safe and idiot-proof world, with soft rounded corners, better seat-belts, and helmets and pads.








Why do I bring this up? Because I realized the other day at the gym that there is a really common, plain thing in our lives that if people from 50 years ago could see they would think we were nearly an alien race--mad with technology.

Ladies and gentlemen, please direct your attention to the best proof that the future is now. I give you the exercise ball:








There is no way that any of us saw this coming down the pipe. What a time to be alive...

1 comment:

Maria Petrova said...

HAHAHAHAHA! you should get one!