Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bum Law

Just some thoughts about bums...

This morning on the way to work I passed a bum who had way better hair than me. The whole shabby chic movement has really helped bum-style. He was also wearing the same blue canvas shoes that I've been so fond of wearing this summer. Freaking bums...





Next, since I started law school two things have happened: I have way less money, and I have to wear a suit and tie more often. I've worked downtown before. I once worked next to Temple Square, which is bum Mecca in Salt Lake City. People have been panhandling me for years and it's always gone a little like this--

Bum: Hey, can you spare any change?

Me: Sorry, man, I don't have any. (Pretty true, I seldom carry cash.)

Bum: Thanks, man. God bless.


Now it goes a little something like this--

Bum: Hey, can you spare any change?

Me in a suit and tie: Sorry, man, I don't have any. (More true now than ever--I neither have cash nor un-maxed credit.)

Bum: @%$! you.


A couple times I have thought about taking the bums aside and explaining my finances to them, but I don't think most of them would believe that they have way more money than I. It's true that I can get ridiculous amounts for school loans, but I bet I still eat more fire-warmed food and cans of beans than any of these guys. Freaking bums...

3 comments:

Holdinator said...

Weird.

http://codenameblogtastica.blogspot.com/2008/04/yubbies.html
http://codenameblogtastica.blogspot.com/2008/04/tella-yubbies.html

The SLC bums are getting a lot of blog attention lately.

becky said...

get the rider mower. it's time to start mowing the bums

Daniel said...

Seems like a painful grooming technique...

Oh, I get it.